Saturday, August 22, 2009

More Ramen:

We're back from Japan and I've got another photo of ramen to upload (yes, I did eat things other then ramen, but I am just not as excited about those as I am about the soup).

Ok, so this time is a Pork Bone/Soy Sauce ramen that I had in the Lovely Mina's hometown of Iwaki, Fukushima Prefecture. I'd had a couple of beverages prior to arriving at the shop, so you'll have to forgive me for not remembering the name...In any event, the chances of any of my loyal reader(s) ever getting to Iwaki for a bowl of soup are pretty small, I imagine.

In any event, this was a heck of a bowl of soup. The marriage of pork bone soup and soy sauce base was lovely, as was the addition of cabbage, which I had never seen before. The crispness was appreciated. We found that adding a dollop of "toubanjan", a Chinese hot bean paste, was key for this soup. It added a complexity that the base soup was missing. Plus, it was spicy!

With an order of gyoza, this was a fabulous way to end an evening out.


No comments: