Sunday, April 05, 2009

"Spring is Here, Spring is Here / Life is Skittle, Life is Beer..."*

Well, a couple of interesting dinners to post today. Things have been pretty busy with school, Model UN, and a trip to St. Simon's Island for Spring Break, so I've not had a chance to get these posted. Anyway, these are a couple of nice Springtime dishes that should go over well with my reader(ship).

First, from Food & Wine magazine is a penne pasta dish with asparagus and fresh peas. We had a surprising warm snap in the middle
 of March that prompted me to look for something light and green to make for dinner and this happened to be in the most recent issue of the F&W magazine. As the recipe suggests, I really do recommend fresh peas and they really only need to go into the dish at the very end so that the residual heat from the pasta cooks them just slightly. I was satisfied with the recommendation of a Sauvignon Blanc to go along with this. For sure, you wouldn't want an oaky Chardonna
y, but a Pinot Grigio or a Viognier might be an interesting alternative choice. Here's the recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/penne-with-asparagus-sage-and-peas

The other recipe is a White Turkey Chili that I found on the Epicurious.com website. 
White Chili is one of those things that, at least for me, I remember exactly where I had it for the first time. It was at the Pufferbelly Restaurant in Berea, OH and we were there for a Father's Day
 or Easter brunch, if my memories serves. Anyway, white chilis are such a change of pace from the usual tomato based chili recipes and this one was fantastic. I ground up my cumin seeds fresh in a mortar and pestle and I think that added a really nice brightness to the flavor. I le
ft the jalapeno out because the Lovely Mina isn't a fan of really spicy food, but then added it in to my chili at the table. I really recommend this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/White-Turkey-Chili-4560

It was chili, so a cold, crisp beer was the obvious drink of choice. If I was going to have a wine with it, I think I would have chosen something red to deal with the cumin.

* Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, by Tom Lehrer

No comments: